Sycamore Class 2018 - 2019
Welcome to Year 3!
Sycamore Class are a kind, and resilient class who support each other in their learning. They have become very independent learners who celebrate differences and are passionate in finding ways to help others in and out of school.
They are taught by Miss Evans and supported daily by Mrs Khan.
Our topic this term is Adrift. We will use our class text ‘Silence Seekers’ to introduce the theme of Refugees, then we will be watching a production in February when we will explore it further. We will look at how children and families are living differently to us and how we can help people in our country who aren’t as fortunate.
For English and Maths, we are taking on a Mastery approach that will have strong links to our class topic and school values.
Here are some ways you can support your child with their Maths
· Practising their times tables: 3, 4, 5, 8 – quick questions in the car / during breakfast / before bed
· Asking them the time in analogue and digital form
· Encouraging them to show you a certain amount of money using coins
· Discuss fractions when portioning (for example a pizza)
Here are some ways you can support your child with their English
The best way to help your child become a confident and fluent reader is by reading with them as often as possible, sharing stories and discussing books. This will really support their writing as well as their reading.
· Discuss new vocabulary when reading (they can be written in their reading diaries, then added to our class display)
· Practising their spelling words – little and often
· Handwriting when they complete their learning log tasks – letter sizing (capital letters / lower case) and presentation
Here are some of our English Targets this term:
· Ask relevant questions
· Participate in discussions, presentations, performances, role play, improvisations and debates
· Build vocabulary
· Articulate and justify answers
· Draw inferences (characters’ feelings, thoughts and motives) and justify with evidence
· Use dictionaries to check the meanings of words and help with spelling
· Predict from details stated and implied
· Ask questions to improve understanding of a text
Spanish will be taught by Mrs Lewis every Wednesday afternoon.
PE is every Monday and Wednesday afternoon! It will be delivered by Mr Grooms from Premier Sports. Extra sporting opportunities often arise, so please make sure that your child has their PE kit in school all week.
Click on the Autumn fact file to find out more about what exciting things we have planned for our first term in Year 3!
I am really looking forward to working with your children this year! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Thank you in advance for all your support,