Sycamore Class 2019 - 2020
Welcome to Year 3!
Sycamore Class are a fantastic group of happy and resilient year 3 pupils.
Mrs Hughes is our class teacher and Mrs Gong is our teaching assistant.
This term our topic is Blue Planet. We will be looking at the 5 oceans and also rivers in the UK. We will be researching how we are damaging the oceans and how we can prevent further damage.
For English and Maths, we are taking on a Mastery approach that will have strong links to our class topic and school values.
Here are some ways you can support your child with their maths
· Practising their times tables: 3, 4, 5, 8 – quick questions in the car / during breakfast / before bed
· Asking them the time in analogue and digital form
· Encouraging them to show you a certain amount of money using coins
· Discuss fractions when portioning (for example a pizza)
Here are some ways you can support your child with their English
The best way to help your child become a confident and fluent reader is by reading with them as often as possible, sharing stories and discussing books. This will really support their writing as well as their reading.
· Discuss new vocabulary when reading (they can be written in their reading diaries, then added to our class display)
· Practising their spelling words – little and often
· Handwriting when they complete their learning log tasks – letter sizing (capital letters / lower case) and presentation
Spanish will be taught by Mrs Lewis every other Wednesday afternoon.
PE is every Tuesday afternoon! It will be delivered by Mr Grooms from Premier Sports. Extra sporting opportunities often arise, so please make sure that your child has their PE kit in school all week.
Music is every Thursday afternoon.
On Friday afternoons, we go swimming!
Click on the Autumn fact file to find out more about what exciting things we have planned for our first term in Year 3!
I am really looking forward to working with your children this year! If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
Thank you in advance for all your support,